Since 1886, Wood Avenue Church of Christ has been a vital part of the Florence community, located in the historical district of downtown Florence on the northeast corner of Wood Avenue and Tuscaloosa Street.
In 1886 a group of Christians began meeting in the home of Susan Thrasher on the northeast corner of Court and Tuscaloosa Streets. Over the next four years the group grew in number and had to rent various buildings in the downtown area. In 1890 they built a church building on the corner of Poplar and Tombigbee Street. This congregation was known as the Poplar Street Church of Christ. The church moved to the present facilities on the northeast corner of Wood Avenue and Tuscaloosa Street on March 1, 1970.
Wood Avenue Church of Christ is the oldest of all in-city Churches of Christ. Wood Avenue has played a significant role in the expansion of the Church of Christ throughout many parts of the world.